Job title: Assistant Accountant Apprentice
Location: Kingston and Sutton
Number of vacancies: Two
Application closing date: Wednesday 10 February 2021
Interview/assessment dates: 15-23 February 2021, to be conducted virtually in line with Government Guidance in relation to COVID-19.
Starting date: April 2021
About the organisation
Kingston and Suttons Shared Finance Service was established in April 2017 and provides financial services to the London Borough of Sutton and the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames. We have many customers including, front-line council services, Councillors, residents, council owned companies, businesses and partner organisations from other sectors. We deliver professional accountancy and financial management, commercial advice and expert analysis, innovative finance operations and financial inclusion services for vulnerable residents.
We have achieved a lot in our first four years of operation and are ambitious in our vision to do more. We were delighted to have been shortlisted for a 2020 Public Finance Award for Alternative Service Delivery Model of the Year. These awards celebrate the best in public finance services and recognise inspiration, innovation and exceptional achievement.
Sutton and Kingston are both highly ambitious councils delivering leading edge public services that are transforming their communities and improving the lives of their residents. The shared finance service plays an essential role in enabling and supporting both councils to be successful by achieving excellent outcomes for residents. We are proud of what we have achieved in our first three years and motivated to achieve even more through bringing new talent into our team to help us take the next steps.
We are offering two roles as an Assistant Accountant Apprentice where you will be involved in a wide variety of work – everything from processing transactional items into our finance systems, working closely with other team members to resolve queries and using your own initiative to improve financial processes.
This apprenticeship role is within the Financial Planning and Business Partnering Teams which provides high quality professional advice and support to budget managers and are responsible for the financial planning for both councils. The team is the gateway to the Finance Shared Service (between Kingston and Sutton Councils) for both councils services with the aim of providing seamless finance support to our customers. We provide financial management support and advice across the core financial cycle of budget setting, budget monitoring and closing of the accounts. We act as a critical friend to the business and provide insightful financial analysis to support business improvement and change.
Minimum entry requirements
Please note, in order to qualify for apprenticeship funding you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age and not in full-time education.
- Hold three A levels or equivalent and a GCSE level 6 equivalent in Maths and English and be able to present original qualification certificates. This apprenticeship would ideally suit someone who has studied Maths or Business Studies at A level but this is not essential.
- Only apply for an apprenticeship unrelated to any qualifications they hold at the same or higher level than the apprenticeship they wish to apply for. The apprenticeship being applied for must be unrelated in subject and content from the qualification already held.
- Not be enrolled on another funded apprenticeship or another funded further education or higher education programme at the time you start your new apprenticeship.
- Have the right to work and study in England and have lived in the UK (ordinarily resident) for the last three years.
15-23 February 2021, to be conducted virtually in line with Government Guidance in relation to COVID-19.
How to apply
Apply via the London Borough of Sutton website here.