- New dates will be announced soon - to register your interest, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The course can also be run in-house for your organisation, which can help save money and allow you to tailor content to suit your needs and context. For more information, contact: email@example.com
About this course
Undertaking asset valuations of land and buildings for the local authority balance sheet is a crucial, yet tricky, task. Most valuers will unlikely have been trained in such valuations for their qualification. As accounting regulations change, interpreting and keeping up to date with these standards to ensure compliance can be challenging. Any misinterpretation can become embedded into locally accepted practice making for an uncomfortable audit process.
The CIPFA Certificate in Asset Valuation therefore offers and clear and broad understanding of the requirements and process of undertaking local authority asset valuations for financial statements. The course is designed to help you:
- undertake local authority asset valuations
- oversee local authority asset valuations undertaken by members of your team or by external valuers
- commission your asset valuation programme.
On completing the course you will be able to:
- understand the key requirements of the CIPFA Code of Practice on Local Authority Accounting insofar as it relates to valuations for the balance sheet and related disclosures including bases of value, valuation frequency, componentisation, lease classification, impairment etc.
- understand the key requirements of the RICS Valuation Professional Standards insofar as they relate to local authority asset valuations for accounting purposes, together with associated practical examples and tips.
The course will also introduce you to staff at CIPFA who you will be able to contact into the future with your valuation queries.
Who is the course aimed at?
- Professionals requiring an entry level introduction to undertaking local authority asset valuations for financial statements.
- Those with existing knowledge or experience seeking a structured refresher.
- Those seeking to achieve a certificate demonstrating their understanding of undertaking local authority asset valuations.
It will also be of interest to:
- Local authority finance professionals that want to broaden their understanding of the valuation process.
- Non-valuation property professionals that oversee the valuation process or simply want to learn more about it.
The course is delivered over four modules:
Module One: Rules of the Game
- First Principles
- Purpose of asset valuations
- Key accounting requirements
- Asset categories
- Asset registers
- Valuation basis
- Basis of measurement
- Valuation approaches
- The nuts and bolts
- Valuation frequency
- Valuation date
- Market review
- Project management
- Local Audit
- The role of local audit
- Local audit review
- Top tips
Module Two: The Valuation Process
- Professional standards
- Valuer skills
- The commissioning process
- Terms of engagement
- Valuation reports and outputs
Module Three: Focus on Valuation
- Basis of ‘measurement’ for asset category groups
- Valuation approaches - market, income and cost
- Valuation methods including:
- Income (investment method)
- Depreciated Replacement Cost
- Valuation of development property
Module Four: Lessee Accounting, Depreciation and Componentisation
- Lessee accounting (IFRS 16 Leases)
- Component accounting
- Market update and close
The CIPFA Certificate in Asset Valuation is completed over four days and is taught via live, online classroom sessions.
The course is assessed at the end of each module through multiple choice tests.
On successful completion of the course, you will receive a CIPFA Certificate in Asset Valuation.
All CIPFA training counts towards your continuing professional development (CPD). If you are a CIPFA Chartered Member or RICS professional (an AssocRICS, MRICS or FRICS), you are required to undertake a minimum of 20 hours of relevant CPD activity each year as part of maintaining your professional competence and to develop skills and knowledge.
Find out more about CIPFA's CPD requirements.
£1,600 +VAT per delegate. The course fees include tuition, all course materials and certification.
Delegates who are part of the CIPFA Property Training Network (PTN) pay a discounted rate of £1,400 +VAT.